This might actually be the only time you will read about cloth diapers on this blog (until we are, hopefully, some day blessed with another baby bottom to diaper). As you know Little E just turned 3 last week and it looks like we are nearing the end of our diapering days with her. So as I tenderly pack up our beloved stash of cloth I am going to reflect on the many reasons I have fallen in love with them!
1. I LOVE cloth diapers because it makes me happy to know I am taking care of the planet by not filling more landfills with yucky diapers that won't decompose for a few hundred years!
2. I LOVE cloth diapers because it gives me an opportunity to teach my children about the importance of taking good care of this beautiful earth.
3. I LOVE cloth diapers because using and reusing the ones that I have saves me TONS of money that I would otherwise be spending on hundreds of disposable diapers that would get thrown away after one use.
4. I LOVE cloth diapers because they are ADORABLE and come in more colors and patterns than you can even imagine.
5. I LOVE cloth diapers because Little E looks so ADORABLE in them with her big fluffy booty and it is so fun to match the color of the diaper to the colors of her outfit. (ya know, kind of like matching your hair bling to your outfit - accessorizing is oh so fun!)
6. I LOVE cloth diapers because Little E is so tiny that her pants wouldn't stay up without the extra bulk!
7. I LOVE cloth diapers because they look so pretty hanging on the clothes line.
8. I LOVE cloth diapers because I can save even more money by line drying them instead of using the dryer.
9. I LOVE cloth diapers AND cloth wipes because they keep all those yucky chemicals away from my daughters precious little bum.
10. I LOVE cloth wipes because I didn't pay one penny for them! I recycled some of my big pile of old receiving blankets, cut them up, and (with the help of a dear friend who has domestic skills that I lack and a sewing machine) we made them into a stash of wipes that can be used over and over again just like our diapers!
11. I LOVE cloth diapers because they required me to buy a special kind of detergent that is free of chemicals and toxins to wash them, which led to me using this detergent on ALL of my families laundry which is healthier and safer for ALL of us (including the planet).
12. I LOVE cloth diapers because making the switch to cloth inspired me to make other changes in our lifestyle that are healthier, safer and less expensive for my family.
13. I LOVE cloth diapers because so many of them (and the detergents and other diapering accessories) are made by small business in the US that were likely started by and are still run by moms just like me!
14. I LOVE cloth diapers because so many of the parents that use cloth diapers have formed a wonderful community of people who strongly support breast feeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and other elements of parenting that are important to me, but aren't as popular in my local community.
15. I LOVE cloth diapers because I NEVER have to send my husband on an emergency run to the store for more diapers!
16. I LOVE that if we are blessed with another baby I can reuse ALL of the diapers that I have used on Little E on a new baby bottom!
17. I LOVE cloth diapers because on hot summer days your baby can run around in just a diaper and still look cute - cute - cute! OR if they get there dinner all over their shorts, just take them off and turn em loose!
18. I LOVE cloth diapers because they have such cute and funny names - Happy Heinys, FuzziBunz, AppleCheeks....
After that long list, would you believe me if I told you that 3 years ago I would have NEVER have imagined my self cloth diapering! I don't particularly like doing laundry, and the idea of putting poopy diapers into my washing machine kind of grossed me out. I can't really tell you what first sparked my interest in cloth. Actually, now that I think about it, it was probably the moms on the hair group! Years ago I remember some of them talking about their addiction to cloth diapers and I thought they were CRAZY but I also thought their wee ones did look awful precious in some of the pics they posted of them in their cloth. But it wasn't until Little E was over a year old that I saw my friend using cloth on her newborn son and I was inspired to give it a try for myself.
Boy am I glad I did! I honestly don't mind the extra laundry at all. And I am a pretty busy mom. But it was just a matter of getting into a routine and than it is simple! And after four kids and four pets, I am no longer phased by poop, so, no problem there.
I know I said this would be the only post on cloth, but I can't really tell you all the reasons I love cloth and then not tell you about my favorite brands and styles of cloth or where to buy them or not share any of my other great cloth related resources. So stay tuned next week for a follow up post. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments and I can try to address them in next weeks post!
Do/Did Any Of You Use Cloth Diapers?